|Image source: Creative Common/Jason Smith|
Great, your mind is made up and you’ve decided on Sydney as your next home! So start packing for Australia and you’ll be calling yourself a Sydneysider in no time, as, before long, you’ll feel like you were born in the most famous city Down Under.
Sydney is the most populated city in Australia and it often tops the charts of world cities for its quality of life. It was chosen to host the Olympic Games in 2000 and the 2003 Rugby World Cup. On top of that, it is home to the largest social and cultural festivals in Australia including the Sydney Festival (arts), the Big Day Out (rock music) and the Sydney Film Festival. So it really is a city which caters for every taste.
Here’s a to-do list to ensure you uncover some of Sydney’s gems, but feel free to check out our hints & tips tool to check out the advice of other expats if you need the inside track on what’s going on in the city.
1. Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge: Yes, it may seem an obvious choice but when you conquer any inhibitions or fear and reach the top, that view will eclipse any other.
2. Take a whirl on a Thunder Jet Boat down the harbour: You’ll get up close and personal to Harbour Bridge from a completely different angle—just remember that you’ll definitely get drenched in the process!
3. Set aside time for the beach: Take the boat trip over to Manly Beach and spend the day soaking up the rays.
4. Stroll down Manly Wharf: With many delicious treats to choose from, we recommend getting yourself some pancakes from one of the famous cafes. Delicious would be an understatement.
5. Get out of the city: We know you’ll have just arrived, but the Blue Mountains offer fantastic scenery which will leave you feeling at one with Mother Nature.
6. Go on an excursion around the Sydney Opera House: It is in fact a complex of multiple performance venues and key residencies are held by Opera Australia, The Australian Ballet, the Sydney Theatre Company and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.
7. Go up market: Take a stroll around Darling Harbour and choose between the amazing restaurants on offer—just note that the prices are somewhat more expensive and the environment is sophisticated.
8. Have dinner at Sydney Tower: Enjoy the range of weird and wonderful food on offer at the buffet here. They have everything from crocodile to emu on the menu!
9. Relax in the Sydney Royal Botanic Gardens: The gardens are home to ponds, pyramid glasshouses and a colony of over 22,000 grey-headed Flying Foxes!
10. Go surfing: Have a surfing lesson at Botany Bay to truly understand the essence of being Australian.
This list comprises of ideas that will leave you feeling refreshed, invigorated and possibly terrified but don’t forget that the easiest way to find new fun things to do as well as integrate into your new home is to make friends.
Start feeling lucky - Sydney truly has it all! It’s a city which accommodates every whim and is a fantastic choice of city to immigrate to.