The New Diplomat’s Wife says her own sheets, Kim says her toothbrush, then her computer and H&K’s own Matt says kettle, tea, toaster, but what is the first thing you unpack when you move into a new house, and why?
One couple say that they have to unpack the stereo first, just to get through the enormous task of unpacking, whilst this little survey throws up some results that I’m sure many people think about when unpacking, whether they are constructive or not.
Packing, moving unpacking can be an extremely difficult time in anyone’s life, but no more so than in the life of an expat. Expats can’t simply pack everything up, hire a truck and drive all their belongings down the road. There is shipping, customs, ensuring there is somewhere for all these belongings to go on the other side. There are many good sites that aim to help make the move a little bit easier for expats, and here are just a few:
- Where to begin….
- Buying a property abroad
- Top tips for a successful assignment
- Questions you should ask yourself before moving overseas
- How to get an international job
There are many reasons that people don’t like getting rid of their possessions, if you are interested in those reasons have a read of this article, but sometimes it is just necessary. When becoming an expat the question turns from, do we really need to keep this, to do we really need to pay to ship this across the world or pay to keep it in storage here?So Expat Explorer has compiled a list of things that really, really can be ditched before the big move:
- Any clothes that are more than a decade old.
- Anything that you have used or worn in 2 years.
- That big stash of magazines that is over taking the garage/office/attic.
- The contents of the man drawer.
- Books. Many books hanging around in houses will never be read again. Give them away. The same goes for CDs, games and DVDs.
- If you have any DIY projects half finished, now is the time to let them go.
- If you needed to use it and it was packed away at the back of the garage, would you be willing it out? No? Ditch it.
- Do the Throw Out 50 Things Challenge
|Don't you wish you could just do this?|
So, expats, what is the first thing that you unpack when you move home? And what are your top tips for de-cluttering before the big move? Leave a comment below or on Twitter ExpatExplorer.