Friday, 29 January 2010

Guest Blogger Series: Introducing... Tim Mullen

Australian Tim Mullen gives us his insight on the expat life...


Living on both sides of the world

"Making my guest post to the Expat Explorer blog this week comes at a time when I am feeling particularly patriotic. This week I along with countless other of Aussies in the UK celebrated Australia Day, which for many of us culminated on Tuesday night at one of the numerous Walkabouts scattered around London (just to make it clear – visiting one of these fine establishments is not something I do regularly but more reserved for special occasions). As I lined up in the freezing cold surrounded by fellow expats dressed in Australian flags, cork hats and a variety of other memorabilia, what struck me most was the sheer number of us based in this city, so far away from home.

"I can’t count the number of times I’ve been asked by my English friends why I chose to live here; to leave such a great country that offers such an amazing lifestyle to come and base myself over in the UK where the weather can be incredibly dreary and where I am left missing my friends and my family back home. It’s a funny thing but for me, like a large number of Australians, there seems to be a burning desire within us to expand our horizons and experience the world beyond our beloved sand and sea. Having said that, there is a trade off with expat life and that is how it can be a difficult life to lead, especially when you're so far away from home.

"I don't in any way regret making the decision to become an expat and I am loving living and working abroad – being an expat is an incredibly rewarding and enriching experience and I have grown hugely as a person in my time over here and I wouldn’t take anything back. There are countless opportunities still in front of me but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t torn between this life and the life at home.

"I think in summary, expat life has not only expanded my horizons but it has also reinforced to me that no matter where you come from, you will always have your home country in your blood and you should be proud of that. Equally as important is to remember that you need to balance this patriotism and also integrate properly into your resident country to make sure that you get the full experience.

"The most important thing for expats to remember is that although it can be tough, this dual life is sustainable as long as you work at it. Yes it takes more effort to stay in touch with friends and family back home, but as long as you have the right attitude you can continue to reap the benefits of leading an international life and still maintain what makes you who are by remembering, and celebrating, your heritage."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say here

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails